Welcome to the Turner School website!
Click here for inservice training
Turner School is a pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 public school located on
Highway 32, 12 miles west of Marietta, OK
(Interstate 35, Exit 15).
We draw our 321 students from the
farms, ranches, and small rural communities of western Love County. Our
mail is delivered from the
(Zip Code 73430).
We celebrated our 50th
anniversary in 2008.
Our school was named for Waco Franklin Turner
(1891-1971) and his wife, Opie James Turner (1901-1962). They made a
gift of the land on which the school was built.
The cornerstone of the high school was
laid on April 11, 1958, and school opened four months later, on August
11, with 115 students. In the fall, an eight-classroom grade school
opened with 235 students.
These 1958 students developed the
school nickname, “Falcons.”
Turner School consolidated the former
Burneyville, Meadowbrook, Courtney, and Dunbar districts. Mr. and Mrs.
Turner had once taught at Burneyville School. Later they became oil
millionaires and spent the rest of their lives in business ventures –
many related to sports, especially golf – and philanthropy.
While school construction was going on,
the Turners also were building Turner’s Lodge (now Falconhead Resort &
Country Club) on 600 acres east of the school. Turner’s Lodge featured
hunting, fishing, and golfing.
The golf course opened in late August
1958 with a tournament (the Opie Turner Open) for the Ladies
Professional Golf Association (LPGA). The LPGA tour returned the
following year and was followed by the Professional Golfers Association
(PGA) tour (the Waco Turner Open) from 1961-1964. These were among the
richest tournaments of their day.
More than fifty percent of the 1,000
residents in the 73430 Zip Code live at Falconhead Resort.
Opie James Turner - 1952
Waco Franklin Turner - 1952